Man ‘fractured boy’s skull with wooden pole in attack against schoolchildren’

Man ‘fractured boy’s skull with wooden pole in attack against schoolchildren’

An “agitated” man went on the rampage swinging a wooden pole at children as they left school – leaving one in a “critical” condition, a court was told.

Another teenager was hit so hard that his lunch box “shattered” in his school bag during the alleged assault, jurors heard.

Luke Bowyer, 35, got into an argument with a group of schoolchildren when he shouted out of his window at them, it was said.

He then ran into the street armed with a walking stick and knocked a schoolboy to the ground – leaving him with blood pouring down his face, a hearing was told.

After striking the youngster on the back of the head, he then lashed out at teachers who rushed to the scene.

Bowyer is accused of launching the assault as the teen waited for a bus after school in Streatham, south London, on November 25 last year.

He is also accused of striking another boy’s rucksack so hard that the box shattered.

The youngster was targeted as he walked along the pavement with a friend after leaving school.

In a police interview played to a jury at Inner London crown court on Tuesday, the lad said: “I looked behind and saw him swing and hit my bag and me and my friend ran away.

“I was feeling really scared because he had a weapon, and I didn’t know if he was going to attack or if he was just going after certain people.

“My lunchbox shattered. We were shouting and just trying to make as much noise as possible.

“I felt shaken, and traumatised. I was still scared and shaking, and my heart was still beating really hard.”

The court heard how after the attack, one victim was found to have bleeding on the brain and a fractured skull.

Pc Victor Badejo: “I was told that the victim had had a seizure, and this was a result of the blow to his head.

“The victim’s sister confirmed he had never had a seizure before. The victim was then taken to Kings College Hospital.

“The victim was confirmed to have a fractured skull and bleeding on the rain, deeming the injuries life-threatening.”

The court also heard a witness statement from Janet Burns, Bowyer’s support worker, who looked after him in supported accommodation.

She told officers how Bowyer had remained “calm” through most of the day when checked on several times in his flat, but began talking to himself and shouting at around 1pm.

She said: “Bowyer was heard talking to himself and shouting I went to check on him and he said he was okay

“At 14.00 hours he was continuously talking to himself and shouting in his flat.

“At around 15.20 hours, Bowyer must have come downstairs as I heard the front door open. I followed him immediately, but did not see him outside.

“That’s when I saw Bowyer across the street, down the road. He was on the ground, I rushed over to him and helped him stand up.

“He was bleeding on his face and there as blood in his hands. I said to Bowyer ‘let’s go home’ and he got up.

“We were starting to walk back when a tall man approached Bowyer, the tall man said something like ‘why don’t you calm down?’ and Bowyer lost it.

“He swiped out at the man, knocking the glasses off his face. I wasn’t able to stop Bowyer or get him calm and I stepped back.

“The man continued talking to Bowyer and a minute later police arrived.”

Bowyer, of Streatham, is charged with one count of grievous bodily harm with intent, one count of attempted GBH, two common assaults and one charge of criminal damage.